Why should you choose ESTEEM as your student character development, adolescent safety, and sexual risk avoidance curriculum?
ESTEEM helps to improve student awareness of and tendency toward making healthy decisions. The more teens are aware of dangers and consequences of risky behaviors, the more prepared they will be to avoid such situations.
Teens that “wait” stay in school longer, and ESTEEM has been proven effective in helping teens understand the impact of their choices! Sex tends to cut education short. Studies show that sexually active teens — whose numbers grow by 7,000 a day — are more likely to drop out of high school and quit college than are teens who abstain from sexual activity.
Teaching abstinence in schools, proponents say, counters not only lower academic achievement but greater risks of depression and disease. 1, 2 The curriculum was designed with help from the Virginity Rules leadership students, dedicated abstinence facilitators, classroom teachers, SHAC members and parents.
- One in four teenage girls nationwide has a sexually transmitted disease (STD).3
- Research shows that teen sex can deflate selfesteem, erode optimism, and spoil the quality of intimate relationships.4
- Sixtysix percent of teens who have had sex wish they had waited longer 5
ESTEEM is a peer reviewed-6 curriculum which teaches the same core topics throughout all four grades/levels while appropriately increasing the maturity level of the content each year.
- Goal setting for improved academic outcomes
- How media and cultural influences impact self-esteem, character development and sexualit
- Explanation of the major sexually transmitted diseases
- The true cost teen pregnancy
- Legal consequences of having underage sex
- Importance of fatherhood to a child
- Friendships and dating relationships what is healthy and what is not
- Creating clear boundaries and priorities
- The importance and benefits of marriage
- Reviewing goals and planning for the future
The ESTEEM curriculum includes 10 lessons which can be delivered in 45 min - 1hr segments. Each student receives their own workbook which they use as a personal journal and which becomes an incredible resource they can take home after the course.
Teachers are trained in a fun, and interactive 6 hour certification training.